Sunday, October 18, 2009

Cardio -V- Weight Training

I remember dreading the idea of lifting weights. I used to think cardio was the best way to get results fast and lose fat. I'd spend hours doing mountain biking (do have to say this was the best thing when it comes to cardio for me) running outside, step class, the treadmill, elyptical, stairclimber, and spinning. It's not that I didn't see some sort of results, but they weren't the results I expected or were looking for.

I'd seen numerous infomercials for P90X and became intrigued by the idea of such an intense workout revolving primarily around lifting weights. I decided to give it a try and it was honestly the best decision I have ever made for improving my fitness. I found that lifting weights gave me better results than cardio alone.

Most women hesitate starting a weight lifting program in fear of bulking up. There's absolutely nothing to fear, however, because the more muscle you have, the more calories and fat you'll burn not only while you're working out, but while your body is at rest! Your body becomes so much more efficient!

There's a rule of thumb to follow when considering the results you want to get from lifting weights. If you want to tone your body and become leaner, lift lighter and aim for 3 sets of 12-15 repetitions. If you want to build larger muscles and have more definition lift heavier and aim for 8-10 repetitions. Just make sure you are lifting the right amount for your body to max out by the last rep....meaning that if you are looking to build larger muscles, you stop at 10 reps, and could easily do 1 or 2 more, then you were not lifting heavy enough! So I recommend keeping a log of the amount of weight and the number of repetitions you are doing so you know how much to lift and how many repetitions to complete the next time you work that muscle group. Always strive to improve!

It's also important to weave cardio in with your weight training. Weight training will give you a mild cardio effect, but not enough to reap the full benefits of a good, strong cardio workout such as decreased stress levels, better endurance, and a stronger heart and lungs.

So it's not really cardio vs. weights....it's cardio AND weights! They are both such important elements in creating a well-rounded fitness routine, so make time for both! Don't fear one over the other or devote yourself to one more than the other and you will get GREAT results!

No comments:

Post a Comment